Why should someone buy from your website instead of direct from a trading company on Alibaba? Let me count the ways.
- Convenience- Companies on Alibaba sell mostly in larger quantities. On your website, possible you sell one piece at a time.
- Shoppers experience- Ability to combine an order and buy multiple items at the same time. Your website may also be easier to shop from.
- Location- Your company may be located in the same time zone or at least similar time zones so customer service may actually be conducted in real time or at least more convenient times for you as a customer.
- Trust and professional image= The quality and professionalism of your website will make a big difference in the level of trust a customer places with you. They can see by your address and contact details where you are located and how to contact you in the case of a problem. If your website is done correctly your potential customer should see that you are an “expert” in the products you are selling. FAQ, installation or usage tips and tricks, customer testimonials, etc.
- Shipping methods- You may be able to offer more speed based delivery service options than a Chinese supplier.
- Delivery Times- Shipping from China can take 4 to 6 weeks or more depending on the product, inventory levels, and shipping method used. You may be able to offer next day delivery or other quicker methods.
- Payment methods available- Customers may be more comfortable using credit cards with your company, rather than sending secure data to an unknown company in a foreign country.
- Customer service- Have a question or a problem? With a local company website you can pick up the phone or even send a text and expect fairly rapid solutions to your problem. Or, get up in the middle of the night to call an Alibaba supplier who may or may not be able to communicate easily in English. They all will tell you, “Yes I speak English”, but the level of understanding may be difficult.
- Return policy- Did you ever try to return something to a Chinese supplier? Getting return authorization may be difficult, cost to ship back high, and don’t even think about trying to get a refund for any customs duties you may have paid.
Remember, when you talk about buying from Alibaba you are not really buying from Alibaba at all. You are buying from a third party vendor using Alibaba to list and market their items.
Keep in mind that price is not always the only consideration shoppers use to justify a purchase. If the price is the only consideration you are worried about, and it doesn’t matter about the speed of delivery, possible returns, trust or scam potential, and little details like those, then go ahead and buy based on the lowest price available.